It’s almost noon, I wonder where M.L. Kwantip is now. She said she would be here early. Granny Golf, why are you so dressed up today? Are you expecting a noblewoman or something? SELF-ANSWERING QUESTION We have an elite visitor today. Please behave yourself today. I have been well behaved since I woke up. Look, I can’t even break my clasping hands apart. – You will watch your manners, right?
– Yes. Where is Golf’s house? I have been walking too far. I sweat too much and the vegetables are going to wilted. M.L. Kwantip. CHEF POM, M.L. Kwantip Devakula Sawasdee ka. CLEANING IN PROGRESS Your house is nice. You should have cleaned it before a visitor arrives. POOR TAY I want to show you that I do clean this. SHOW-OFF TAY You want me to praise you for what you did? Don’t only do things just to be recognized. Do it because you honestly want to. This is Granny Pom. Make a proper greeting to her. This is Tay, my grandson. What is the level of my hands when greeting an older person? Where should they be? I’m super nervous right now. DON’T MAKE ME WARN YOU. Take it easy. No rush, dear. TAY IS NOT HIMSELF Okay. Sawasdee krab. How are his manners? Not bad. A little more discipline should do. It’s been a while since I met Granny Pom. She is a master in Thai cooking, you know? Now that you are visiting us here today, would you mind cook something for my grandson, Tay? How about a traditional dish that is easy to make? I’m relieved to hear that it’s easy to make. Let’s make Yum Yai (Mixed Meat Spicy Salad). Do you call that easy? It’s easy. It just needs a lot of ingredients. It should be okay. Tay will be your helper. He can learn how to cook and maybe good at something, at least. You will learn how to make it. I know that you have someone to help me. So I thought of making Yum Yai. But this helper is a pain in a neck sometimes. I didn’t teach him well enough. Go prepare the ingredients. Why are you still sitting here and make her wait? I thought I was blessed to be able to eat her cook. Just my luck. I have to do everything again today. Yum Yai (Mixed Meat Spicy Salad) May I ask why this dish is called Yum Yai? Because of the ingredients. There is a large variety of components in this dish. Not just what you see here. Because the dressing must be cool. Otherwise, all the veggies are wilted when mixing. – We need to let it cool before mixing?
– Yes. TAY IS NEVER WILTED. I’m not wilted yet. “SPICY DRESSING SAUCE
10 Red chillis
1 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar 1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp coriander roots
5 cloves of garlic” What should we start with? Red chillis. This day, red chillis are quite large. In the old days, they are much smaller. Around this length. Yes. So you need to cut them into smaller pieces for easy pounding. – It’s difficult to pound the whole piece.
– Ah, I only slice them for pounding? Yes, for pounding them. Nice, you slice them on a diagonal. GRANNY GOLF TAUGHT ME WELL He looks like he has been taught well by you. Don’t cut too big if you don’t want to pound too long. You can remove the seeds if you don’t want it to be too spicy. – Now cut the coriander roots.
– All of these? Cut out the very end of them first. Yes. What we put in the mortar first are the red chillis as they are difficult to crush. If you can pound strongly, you are a husband material, you know? POUND RED CHILLIS FIRST He’s strong and good at this. My grandson is good at pounding. Have you seen him when he pounds? Not really, but I hear. I used to hear you pound too. ARE THEY STILL TALKING ABOUT COOKING? When the chillis look finely pounded, add coriander roots and garlic then continue pounding until they are combined. For the dressing sauce, it must have the same amount of sourness, saltiness and sweetness. Basically, if you add 2 tablespoons of sugar let make it 3, so we make enough for everyone here. WE ARE SO LUCKY Just put the same measurement of sugar and vinegar. May I ask why you don’t use limes here? LISTEN CAREFULLY There are several kinds of spicy salads. Some use limes, some use vinegar and some use tamarind extract. There are different kinds of sour taste in Thai food. How many spoons have I added? FORGET TO COUNT And add salt only this much. Actually, you need to put it to boil, dear. You can’t expect them to dissolve here. But the sunlight is pretty strong here. That’s not how we cook it. AFTER SEASONING, PUT THE MIXTURE TO BOIL Many people may have heard this dish, Yum Yai from King Rama II’s poetry. Thai Food & Dessert Verse Can you recite it? Do you still remember it? Just some parts. Try. Recite it to Granny Pom. Massaman that is made by my love is rich and flavorful with cumin. Any men have this curry once. He will crave to see you more. Go on. Yum Yai contains so many ingredients. They are all mixed and filled up a plate. The taste is so good from the fish sauce … Japanese fish sauce. ALMOST FAIL IN THE END. The part where they say the taste is good with Japanese fish sauce. Yes, according to the record that I read… Thailand and Japan have long been in a good relationship for a long time. So we got some influence from Japan in Thai food. – It’s probably influenced by Japan with some Japanese seasoning…
– in Thai food. Yes, we have some Japanese ingredients in Thai kitchen. In Ayutthaya province, there’s still a site called Japanese Village. – That means, Japanese people came to Thailand since Ayutthaya Kingdom.
– Yes. And from what I read… I’m not old enough to witness this myself. But Granny Golf is. She is in every era. Japanese fish sauce is not fish fermented with salt but fish fermented with soy sauce. Because the main ingredients of Japanese are mostly based from soybeans. – Soy sauce.
– Yes. So for today, when our sauce mixture is boiled, we use Thai fish sauce. We use our fish sauce. But an important tip is that do you know why we just add fish sauce at this step? because you should always add fish sauce in boiled food. Because if you put it on without boiling your food may have a fishy smell. It’s boiling now. Look, when it’s boiled and cooked, the color is more vivid. – Nice color.
– I know, right? The sugar in the mixture is a thickening agent. It gets gluey. Then, we add fish sauce to finish our dressing sauce. Because our mixture is boiled. When we see bubbles, it’s done? Yes, let’s taste it. Let me put it a bit here. Unbelievable. My hand measurement is on point. It tastes veryyyyyyyyyy good. Try so we know how the taste is like. HOW IS IT, TAY? Does it taste like what Granny Pom said earlier? All sour, salty and sweet tastes are equally flavored. – Not overly spicy.
– No, not overly spicy. If the taste is right, you can rest it to cool down. Now, let’s prepare the main ingredients. “Yum Yai Ingredients
Boiled small shrimp – 40 grams
Boiled pork – 30 grams
Boiled chicken breast – 30 grams
Boiled pork rind – 40 grams
Dried squid – 10 grams
Hard-boiled egg – 1
Celery Stems – 10 grams
Crushed peanut – 1 tsp Cucumber/Onion/Ear Mushroom/White Radish – 20 grams each
Roasted white sesame, Mint leaves, Coriander for garnishing Now the ingredients for our spicy salad. You said it’s called Yum Yai because it composes of many ingredients. Yes, many. The meats we use are boiled shredded chicken breast boiled pork in thin slices boiled shrimps, you can cut it, it depends on the size. If you use large shrimps, you should cut it into smaller pieces. Dried squid. You need to grill this and crush it until it breaks. Or else you can’t tear it. If you tear it in big pieces, they are not chewable. You need small fine pieces. And another meat as a protein in this dish is pork rind. This gives the chewy texture to our dish. – For texture.
– Yes. The vegetables we use are cucumbers. Cut them into thin strips. For the onions, we also cut them to these paper-thin slices. And the white radish, cut it in the same way as the cucumbers. For the hard-boiled eggs, separate egg yolk from the egg white Then slice the egg white into fine pieces. Ear mushroom. Mint leaves. And coriander which we use only its leaves. This is Celery. We’ll do this one differently. I want to test how good Granny Golf has taught you. I’m being put to a challenge again? Let’s see if you can do it. We only use the stems. – Only the stems?
– Yes. Get the knife and try it. Follow Granny Pom. Cut it in half. Then, cut it in half again. Is it good enough? Not bad for… This is my works. You have raised quite a bragging grandson. Well, for the rest ingredients. This is crushed roasted peanut. roasted white sesame. First step, use the egg yolk and crush it with our pre-made dressing sauce. Just break it. – This is similar to the creamy dressing salad.
– Ah, egg yolk is also used in there. For this dish, the dressing sauce is thick with the egg yolk and peanut. Then, put in all components. PUT IN ALL INGREDIENTS IN THE DRESSING MIXTURE The amount of the dressing is up to you. You can start mixing them. When all ingredients are blended well, add mint leaves. To get the aroma of the mint leaves you need to tear the leaves with your hands. – Don’t just put the whole leaves.
– Yes, not the whole leaves. We do this so that it tastes good in every bite you have. We will leave some to garnish. Now, add white sesame. and crushed peanut. Continue mixing. TOSS WELL TO COMBINE AND SERVE Add a little bit more of peanuts and sesame. Garnish with mint and coriander leaves. YUM YAI Yum Yai is ready to eat now. Amidst all other spicy salads in the market that contains fermented fish sauce. This spicy salad is unique. Yes, and the taste is quite mellow not too spicy and tangy. Do you know why this menu is known as a royal cuisine Because a royal lady with gracious manners like you should not eat spicy food that makes you sweat. It’s not nice. So, you must have a spicy thing only in a secret place. if not, you can have it outdoor. Can I assume that you meant food? Yes. I was in awe for a sec. – Go ahead. Try it.
– It’s the time you have been waiting for, right? The taste of white sesame kicks in afterward. Because white sesame has oil. When it is roasted, it smells nicer. It’s really flavorful. It’s the spicy salad that you can continue eating. I understand now when a Thai dish containing several ingredients, it gives the taste, texture and nice aroma. – All are mixed in my mouth.
– Yes. – It has a soft and mellow taste, right?
– It’s mellow unlike other easy dishes that are hot and spicy. Not overly tangy. This is the difference between a royal cuisine and an ordinary home cook. – But many young generations understand that a royal cuisine dish is sweet.
– …sweet. No, it’s not. It’s a flavorful taste like this one. It’s really good. Really really good. “- This is the true definition of flavorful taste.
– Yes, it is.” This recipe will give the same result to everyone. Anyone who follows this recipe will get the same flavorful taste. Because we mix the dressing sauce first. Just toss it with the salad ingredients. And your dressing recipe is easy. Who said a royal cuisine menu is complicated and difficult. – This one is not too difficult to make.
– No. STOP EATING AND LISTEN FIRST Just prepare by cutting all ingredients. See, we can finish this dish as we talk. Half of the dish has gone into Tay’s stomach. “COOKING TIPS
1. LEAVE THE DRESSING SAUCE TO COOL DOWN BEFORE MIXING TO AVOID DISCOLORATION OF THE VEGETABLES.
2. ADD FISH SAUCE AFTER THE MIXTURE IS BOILED TO AVOID FISHY SMELL LEFT IN THE FOOD.” ONLY FOCUS ON EATING Show your gratefulness to Granny Pom. She came all the way to our house to cook this for us. Thank you so much. No need to overdo it, dear. May I send him to be with you for a few days? He can learn from you. Do you mind? I’m glad that you ask me first. Instead of sending him knocking on my door. Thank you for asking if I mind or not. Please look forward to our show every other Monday on YouTube Channel and Facebook Fanpage of GMMTV. Will we have another guest visiting us again? Please don’t forget to tune in. Thank you so much M.L. Kwantip Devakula. When you greet or say goodbye to older people, you should not look mouthful like that. It’s swelling because I just had my wisdom tooth removed.